Sunday, February 14, 2010

Finland vs. Russia - Women's Ice Hockey & Victory Ceremony

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to attend the Finland vs. Russia Women's Hockey Game. It was an amazing event filled with great sportsmanship. However, one thing in particular stood out to me. I was mind-boggled at the fact that we have so many people cheering on non-home teams. There was a group of three ladies holding a sign each. One sign said, "USA" meanwhile the other had a heart(loves), and the third said "FINLAND." It was unique to see supporters all over the world unite as one. This just goes to show how during the Olympic Games, everyone becomes a whole. In addition, the way the fans interacted with the athletes was incredible. Not only did Finland receive an applaud for their fantastic win, Russia also got a round of an applause for its effort. The fans are always there to lighten up the mood, and yet make athletes feel good about their performance, no matter what the end result may be.

Today I had a number of tasks on my "to-do" list. To start off I had been eager to try out the zipline track at Robson Square. I've tried on countless occasions to line up, but I always fell short. With a large dose of determination, I tried to make sure I would complete this task today. I lined up for the zipline at 11 AM sharp with Samaah, and we basically waited for our turn. As the line grew longer, my patience was wearing off. It had been 6 hours, and it felt like we weren't moving at all. Randomally, as we were in line, I was told that Alexandre Bilodeau was across the tent from where we were standing. Samaah, and I rushed mad down to try and meet him. We were fortunate enough to get a high-five, as well as an up close personal view of him. After Alexandre had left the tent, we headed back to the line where a couple of our new friends had saved our spot. At 4:00PM, I started to get worried. I was told I had to be at BC Stadium at 4:30PM in order to watch the victory ceremony, and see Alexandre Bilodeau receive his gold medal for Men's Moguls. At the end of the day, time did fly. I had to get out of my seven hour wait line, to head to BC Stadium. I was extremely angry, and words could not describe how bitter I felt. I practically wasted my whole day for nothing. The new friends we had made told us to stick around, however that was quite impossible. I still can't get over the fact that I didn't actually get to experience the zipline yet.

As I headed out of the line-up, I literally ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. I am by no means a walking GPS. I had no sense of direction, and really had no idea where I was going. I had asked a couple transit personnel directions to BC Stadium, and every one of them would give me a different route. I was exceptionally stressed out. Although, I ended up finding my way to BC Stadium in time to see Canada receive it's first medal on home soil. It was a memorable event that I'll never forget. I felt so honored to be apart of it. All three athletes got cheered on, and Canada celebrated its victory. After the victory ceremony, we were joined by singer, Gregory Charles as part of Quebec Night for a great performance to end off the night with a bang.

2 comments:

  1. haha....good times hun, good times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and btw...we are going to line up again. dont ask when, but we will. AND i wanna go tonite..chek yo fonee..

    sicckk story tho =)

    ReplyDelete